The Okinawa Prefectural Government and the Okinawa Karate-do Shinko-kai (Society for the Advancement of Traditional Okinawa Karate) are bringing their Karate Performance Exchange to Southern California.
Karate masters representing Shorin-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, and Uechi-Ryu are touring the U.S. to promote their first Okinawa Karate International Tournament in 2018. For the Los Angeles area, Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu will host an evening for the masters to perform demonstrations, answer audience questions, and provide photo opportunities beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 21, at Centenary United Methodist Church, 300 S. Central Ave. (at Third Street) in Little Tokyo.
Representing Japan will be:
• Naonobu Ahagon (chairman), hanshi, 10 dan, Okinawa karate and kobudo
• Meitatsu Yagi, hanshi, 10 dan, Goju-Ryu
• Minoru Nakazato, hanshi. 10 dan, Shorin-Ryu
• Masanari Kikugawa, hanshi. 9 dan, Goju-Ryu
• Harukichi Shimabukuro, kyoshi, 8 dan, Uechi-Ryu
Karate students, senseis and enthusiasts recognize that this is an exceptionally rare opportunity to visit with these masters outside of Okinawa.
Masanari Kikugawa and Harukichi Shimabukuro
Minoru Nakazato (left)